The Milling Machine
The milling machine is often mentioned in connection with the abbreviation CNC. A CNC milling machine designates a computerized machine tool, lifting off material by rotating aroung a workpiece, and thereby giving it a predetermined shape.
Often small and large milling machines are used in the industrial sector. Due to the large variety of interchangeable tools, the CNC milling machine is to be found , increasingly, in the hobby area.
Types of milling machines
In terms of types of milling machines these differs by 3 points:
- Construction type and intended purpose
- cantilever- milling
- Bedtyp milling machines
- special milling machines
- Location of the milling spindle
- Horizontal milling machines
- Vertical milling machines
- Type of control
- Mechanically controlled milling machines
- Numerically controlled milling machines
In the field of CNC mills, the most common one is probably the portal milling machine.
Possible applications are:
- Aluminum machining e.g. Machine parts, gears, components
- Plastics Processing e.g. Components for modeling / architectural modeling
- Stainless steel processing e.g. logos, emblems, trophies, inscriptions and initials for wind deflectors, tombstones and grave stones
- Woodworking e.g. 3D coat of arms, 3D wood reliefs, wooden toys, wooden signs, flaps, doors and candle arches, model components, etc.
- Stone working e.g. Grave stones, grave plates, ornaments, nameplates etc.
Increasingly popular are also applications in the field of 3D. So called DIN/ISO G-codesare are sent to the machining center using appropriate 3D CAD / CAM software. Due to the design of a portal milling machine, it is possible to use up to 6 axes : A, B, C and X, Y and Z, the A-, B- and C-axis represents a rotation around the axes X, Y and Z. Thus it is possible to mill in three dimensions and produce 3D statues, components and much more in a single step.
What should be considered when buying a CNC Milling Machine?
A milling machine should always be purchased from an authorized dealer. Only a fully-trained sales personnel can propose a suitable model according to your needs..
As individual as your wishes can be, as as individual should be advice you receive, because the more precisely your milling machine is tuned to key points, such as size, performance and workpiece to be machined, the better milling results you will receive later. An authorised dealer should also offer free support beyond the purchase, so entry is made easier and cheaper.
An authorised dealer should also offer free support beyond the purchase, so entry is made easier and cheaper.